Toenail fungus, also acknowledged as onychomycosis, can be identified as a thickening and softening of a nail, often with a yellow discoloration. The nail can split and sometimes need to be removed. It isn’t just ugly and uncomfortable; it can also spread very easily from nail to nail that also makes it dangerous.
It is also a difficult condition to treat. Once the fungus takes hold, you need to both kill the disease as well as stop the spread and encourage new healthy growth. It can be done from home with the help of over-the-counter medications such as ZetaClear, but you must be diligent in the treatment to make it work.
There are home remedies you can use such as vinegar and baking soda, tea tree oil, Listerine soaks, coconut oil. These are all applied topically as a paste or a soak to help clear up the fungus. Some work some of the time, none work all of the time and some give proven results. According to Zetaclearinstores.com, there are over-the-counter applications that do work, such as ZetaClear that already contain all the ingredients to treat toenail fungus.
Regardless of what topical treatment you use; homemade, over-the-counter, or prescription, there are some simple hygiene guidelines you must follow to both prevent and cure toenail fungus.
– Wash your hands/feet thoroughly and dry thoroughly, especially between the toes and fingers. Fungus likes warm dark places to grow.
– Treat the fungus like the infection it is, wash hands and tools after using to stop spread from nail to nail.
– Wear absorbent socks, frequently change if your feet sweat.
– Keep your nails trimmed short and filed, no ragged edges.
– Don’t pick a the skin around your nails causing breaks in the skin creating openings for fungus to enter.
– Use anti-fungal spray or powder on shoes and feet regularly.
– Don’t wear old shoes that might be infected – or treat with a fungicide.
– Don’t go barefoot in public places where you can pick up toenail fungus.
– Wear open-toed shoes that allow skin to breathe.
The key to getting rid of toenail fungus once and for all is being consistent with your treatment. Once you begin treatment, don’t stop until you have gotten rid of all traces of fungus so it can’t return.